This is a common question that I get asked in my line of work. The understanding of HR’s role within an organization has shifted over the last number of years, and the concept of an HR consultant can still be confusing to some people. I find it’s especially puzzling for people who have experienced or work within organizations where HR is not a strategic partner, but rather an administrative role within the organization (facilitating employee on-boarding, managing time and attendance programs, planning social events, etc). Don’t get me wrong, administrative tasks find a place in any department, including HR, but what I guess I’m getting at is that there are still a lot of people who don’t understand the value that a strategic HR professional can bring to an organization.
So…what do I do exactly?
To put it simply, I help companies perform better.
- I help them put their ducks in a row when it comes to policies and processes so that they can reduce their risk and liability from a legal, regulatory and sometimes moral perspective.
- I help companies plan ahead and think through development of current leadership and upcoming leadership.
- I help companies understand efficiencies in their roles and current structure to ensure they have appropriate bench strength moving forward.
- I help companies find great people for their teams. People that are not only talented and have the right skill set but that will be a good fit with the organization and the people they work with.
- I help Leaders handle difficult / awkward / uncomfortable situations. When an employee makes an unwelcome or inappropriate comment to a co-worker, how do you proceed? When a Manager is not holding an underperforming team member accountable, how do you turn it around? When an employee has a record of poor attendance or conduct issues, how do you address? I work with leaders one-on-one to coach them through any and all situations that may come up. I am their back-up, their resource in their back pocket to walk through issues and help them consider the appropriate course of action.
This may seem like a tall order, and it is! HR has changed and strategic HR touches all aspects of a business in one way or another. So in one sentence, what do I do exactly? As a Consultant, I empower my clients as a subject matter expert in HR to strengthen their business.
For more information about what Acuity’s team can do for your organization, visit our website at www.acuityhr.ca